Sunday, October 3, 2010

Battlecreek Falls Hike

October 3, 2010
In between Conference, we decided to go up the canyon to see the fall leaves before they are gone. We tried to go up to Cascade Springs, but there was some kind of road jam at the mouth of the canyon. We decided not to sit and wait, so we went over to Pleasant Grove. I found out about a hike called Battlecreek Falls from my awesome neighbor Sinika. Funny how I have lived right by this hike my whole life, and I have never heard about it till now. So we decided to check it out!
We took a picnic with us for lunch
Then we started to hike. We had not planned on hiking, so most of us were not wearing shoes for hiking. Yep, we were in flip flops. This was pretty funny, since Dave and Dax had just heard a talk about flip flops in the Priesthood session of Conference :).
Notice Daxtons happy face in all the pictures... he was very mad at me for making him hike. He is so a teenager, and I am sooo looking forward to the teenage years!!
The youngest was our best hiker! There was no complaining from him. He even fell a couple of times, and didn't even cry.
These two were pretty happy about their new found walking sticks :)
There wasn't actually too many fall leaves...
so we tried to get pictures when we found some!
The kids were pretty excited... we found an Avatar tree on this trail!
Look closely, doesn't this look like one of the floating spirits from the spirit tree on Avatar? We thought it did, so the kids wanted me to get pictures and post it on our blog! Who knew that there were Avatar trees right here in Utah!!
What a trooper he is!
Dax walking away, saying he wasn't going to go any farther...
He sat down and wouldn't move until he was threatened with being grounded. I hate that I have to be so mean, but I wanted to enjoy some outdoor family time!
The leaves are not very brilliant this year, but it was still beautiful!
Dawson waited for his big brother, what a good little bro!
How did I not know this beauty was so close...
I love my kids,
even if I couldn't get a smile out of one of them (Dax).
I am glad some of my kids will let me take pictures.
There was a lot of fish in this little pond, and Dave decided to feed them little tiny pieces of paper... :? We didn't have anything to feed them so why not paper? Anyway, it was pretty funny, because they would eat it, and then they would spit it out. Smart fish!!
Dax and Jada even found a snake,
but when the rest of caught up to them it was gone.
Jada and her treasures... She found this perfect fall leaf, and a pair of sunglasses! She was so excited about her finds :). She is so beautiful!!

We had the perfect afternoon!! Thanks to Sinika for the great info on this hike. We did not hike all the way to the top, Dave had to get back for work. Maybe next time! Oh, and when we got home, Dax said thank you for taking the family hiking :). Who knew that after all his complaining he actually ended up enjoying it. It was all worth it!!

3 comments:

Nielson said...

Oh teenagers! I still have quite a few years to go for that--I'm sure I'll be really "mean" too--don't worry :) That is a fun hike--one of our favorites, glad you got to enjoy it!

Kelli said...

I recently found out about this place too...Just a few months ago.
We love it.
You'd think Jeff was my teenager however ... "I don't like to get dirty, I don't like to get wet" Oh for the love of pete!! :)
We took our dog with us and went all the way to the falls.
You gotta get up to top next time and plan on getting wet!

rachel said...

I love that you took a picture of Dax sitting on the rock! hahaha