Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Every Once In Awhile....

January 11, 2009

What does this picture have to do with every once in awhile? I am about to explain...

So every once in awhile I have a great day where I think to myself, "today you got a lot accomplished, and did a good job taking care of your family. Maybe you are not as bad of a mom and wife as you think you are." Well, lucky me...yesterday was one of those days! You know, one of those days were everything goes smoothly, much is accomplished, and you actually prepare a meal from scratch (one that didn't take you 20 min. to prepare). For most women this is probably a typical day, but for me I feel like they are few and far between :(. Most days, I sit and ponder where did the day go?

Anyway, back to yesterday :). It really was a great day, and I really didn't do anything to spectacular, it just went smoothly! I just worked really hard at getting my house clean and looking nice, especially because it had been trashed from a crazy weekend. I like to try to have the house clean when Dave gets home from work, but the minute the kids walk in the door from school it looks like a tornado hit. I always wonder why I work so hard before the kids come home, only to have to rush like a mad women to clean again before Dave comes home. (He works really hard, so I would like for things to be clean when he comes home.) Well, mission accomplished everything was clean when Dave arrived home!!

Next, I actually made a homemade dinner. I made homemade pizza. I have never made this before, but my brother-in-law had made it for us, and it was so yummy :). So I thought I would give it a go. It actually turned out not to bad. I love sitting down with my family for dinner. It is one of the very best parts of my day, aside from my alone time with Dave after the kids go to bed!
I insist that we sit together at the table for dinner (no t.v., no distractions) it is so fun to listen to everyone about their day!

Dave told everyone to look sad in this picture. I have no idea why? I got made so much fun of for taking pictures, but that is okay. I wanted to remember that everyday isn't stressful and unproductive :) I know I am a freak, and writing this post probably proves that... Oh well!

To top the day off, I actually held Family Home Evening. This is a rarity in our home. I really try, but this is one area I need to work on (one of my New Years resolutions). I got a good idea from my V.T about ideas for FHE. One FHE a month dedicate it to teach your children a task that they should know to take care of themselves when they leave the home. So tonight we learned how to clean a bathroom! Yes, I know my 13, 11, and 9 year olds should already know this. Unfortunately I never make my kids do anything. That is all about to change (another New Years resolution). Everyone is going to start helping with the house work :). It was actually a very fun FHE. We even had a dessert! Brownies with ice cream :).

We got the kids to bed, and Dave and I got our alone time. We even rented a movie, crazy on a Monday night. I just am grateful that in the midst of all the chaos of life, Heavenly Father sees fit to allow us some great days :). Don't get me wrong I am not complaining about my life, because I am truly blessed. I love my life! However, there is alot of crazy, stressful days! I guess that is why I felt the need to blog about a great day, so I can come back to it on crazy ones and know that a great one like today will come along eventually :).

2 comments:

scott, natalie and kids said...

You are amazing Melissa. I hope that I have as good of a relationship with my kids as you do with yours when they get older.

sinika said...

I'm laughing at the "everyone look sad" part. Great idea to teach them a skill- I like it.

P.S. I think you're superwoman.