Thursday, September 2, 2010

The Long Awaited Trip to Tennesse :)

My sister Liz has been trying to talk me into driving to Tennessee for a couple of years now. Well, this summer we finally took the trip :). Liz even drove to Utah first so that I could follow her back. She was worried that if she didn't that we would not come. So lucky us, we got to spend 3 weeks with her in Utah and a month with her in Tennessee. We had an awesome trip! Thanks so much Liz and Brian for everything you guys did for us!!

Dave did not come with us, so he spent a month without his family:(. He did not like it one bit. It was a 3 day drive out, which was not bad at all. Considering we took our car and not our van :(. Dave and I did not think the van was reliable enough, so we all packed into the car. We put Dawson's car seat in the middle of the back seat, and that kept the two in the back from fighting too much. The drive out was not bad, because at least 2 or 3 of my kids were always riding in Liz's van. The drive home was not quite as pleasant, but it was actually not that bad.

July 6, 2010
The first day we did not make any sight seeing stops. We drove about 12 hours! Oh, I should mention that when we hit Sydney, Nebraska, we hit the worst storm I have ever driven through. It was so scary. I was just picking up my phone to call Liz and tell her I thought the weather looked like tornado weather, when my phone rang. Liz said that she had just talked to a hotel in the area, and that all the hotels were full. There were two storms hitting at the same time, and there were tornado watches in the area. It was raining and hailing so hard you could not see anything in front of us. The lighting never stopped. To make matters even worse, we were both close to empty and needed to get some gas. Each gas station we found had closed because of the storms, and the whole town was flooding fast. Not to mention a train had derailed, and cops had closed off a lot of streets :(. Finally we found an open gas station, and the attendant told us she would hurry and get out of the area. Dawson was in Liz's car crying he was so scared. We decided to keep driving in this horrible weather, and get out before any tornadoes hit. I was saying so many prayers. We were very blessed to get out of all that scary weather safely. We got to our hotel at about 11 pm, at let the kids swim. What a day!!

July 7, 2010
Church History Sights in Missouri

FarWest
There was not too much to see in FarWest. There was this book store, and the temple grounds which has all four cornerstones laid (no temple yet). We drove about 70 miles out of our way to see these sights, and were pretty bummed that this is all there was :(.
Dax 13 (days away from 14), Jada 11, Me, Brayden 10, and Dawson 4


My Sissy Lizzy and her two girls!



Liberty Jail was worth stopping for. It was so neat to hear what to see!


My camera is having issues :(

This was inside the Liberty Jail, it was incredible to hear what Joseph Smith and the others went through. They suffered so much. I was grateful that my kids could hear this incredible story from the missionaries. We were blessed to be able to see these sights!

This is a replica of the Gold Plates

This was the RLDS visitor center across from the LDS visitor center. It was a really cool looking building. It was a big spiral at the top. My camera was still having issues :(

We got to the LDS Visitors Center and it was closing in 10 min. They gave us a very quick tour, and we were out the door :(. Wish we would have had more time. Oh well, at least my camera took a some what decent picture of the Christus!

We drove about 12 more hours this day... it went very fast!

2 comments:

Nielson said...

That's crazy! I've been in a storm like that--I would have cried :) Glad you made it out safely!!!

The Christiansen Six said...

Its about time...glad you are finally posting about the trip. Miss ya Missy Sissy!!