Sunday, September 26, 2010

The Newest Member Of Our Family...

September 16, 2010
Here She is... Lacy, the guinea pig :?. Yes, Jada finally got a pet. Jada has begged us for years for a dog. Unfortunately for Jada, both her parents hate pets. I have felt so bad for her that a few times I almost gave in and let her get a dog, but in the end I just could not say yes. So, when Jada's friend told her she was giving away her guinea pig, Jada started in on the begging. It took her almost 3 weeks to get us to say yes. As you can see in the picture above, Jada is very... very happy!!
Our new family member created quite a stir in our neighborhood.

I could not believe how many kids, and parents came over to see Lacy :)
When Jada told me she wanted to get a guinea pig, I was thinking of an animal that you hold in the palm of your hand. I just about died when Jada brought home this animal the size of a rabbit. I had no idea that guinea pigs were this big :(. Oh well, Jada is in charge of this creature. Not me :).
Our neighbors have guinea pigs also, so they brought theirs over to have a play date with Jada's. It was pretty funny. Jada's friend gave her 2 big cages, an outdoor fence, food etc. all for free :). That is the best way to get a pet.
Here is the play date :). The kids were loving it.
My baby girl with her new baby!
Jada's best friend Savanna with Lacy
This is how we have Jada hold Lacy so that she doesn't pee or poop on her :)
The other night I went to tuck Jada in bed, and there she was watching tv with Lacy. It was pretty cute!

I must admit that so far it has not bothered me to have Lacy in our family:). In fact, I love the cute little noises that she makes. I still won't touch her though. Jada follows me around and says just pet her mom, but I just can't touch her. Maybe one day.... I am very happy that Lacy has made Jada so happy!!

6 comments:

lindsey v said...

My daughter would be so jealous of
1- Jada's guinea pig and
2- the tv in her room.
I'm glad you finally found the right pet for your family- so far... :)

Nielson said...

You are the best mom :) Jada looks beyond happy!

The Kohler Family said...

Yikes...that IS a big guinea pig! My girls STILL want a rat and I have yet to give in...you are a GREAT mom! I love your camping post too! Sometimes I wish I was adventerous....we are going to try hiking and see how that goes!

scott, natalie and kids said...

You are a very nice mom. I am not that nice yet, and I don't think Scott will ever be. Thank goodness for neighbors and grandparents with pets.

Marci said...

Melissa - we've had just about every pet you can think of. We always cave and get them for the kids. The kids love them though. So glad to see how happy Jada is...I hope it doesn't wear off like it has with some of our kids. Now I'm responsible for the dog, and the fish, and the crabs.;)

Kelli said...

This is such a precious post!
Jada is just a doll :)
I am your polar opposite Melissa. I have issues with animals. I love them way too much! In fact reading this and seeing the pictures makes me want a guinea pig now.
I hope she keeps up with it. I think pets are great for teaching kids responsibility. My kids have to pooper scoop and feed and water and exercise the dog every single day. They'll thank me for it someday, right? :)