Wednesday, June 10, 2009

"The Quilt....." :\

I am so behind on my blog. There is so many things I want to post, so bear with me. I will post a lot in the next few days. Here goes...

Jada had a project at school that she had to make a quilt for. I know.... making a quilt in 4th grade? She could have choose a different project, but I said okay to the quilt because we have never used the sewing machine that Santa gave her for Christmas. Yes, believe it or not, we finally broke it out and used it. Also, as always, we waited till the very last second to make the quilt. Literally....we started the cutting process at about 4 pm, and it was due the following morning!! I am the worst procrastinator :\.

Jada was very excited to finally be getting to use her new sewing machine!

The cutting process...the worst part!

Finally the sewing begins.... We started sewing at about 7:30pm.

Our good neighbor Karen let us in on a good secret to keep the squares going through continuously. It saved us a lot of time, and string. Thanks for the good tip Karen!!

Jada did a great job at sewing for the first time. Usually I end up doing most of the kids projects, but Jada did most of the sewing. I was so proud of her!

The finished product!!!

We finished sewing around 11:30 pm :\. Jada was so excited for this project, but by about the time 10 pm rolled around she was asking if she could go to bed. Also, if I would just finish it for her. I am a mean mom, and made her stay up, Even though it was my fault we waited till the very last second. Jada was a real trooper!!

I was surprised that the back turned out as good as it did. We were sewing so fast, it is amazing that the rows even remotely lined up!

11:30pm
I had to hold the camera out to take this picture... our photographer (Dave) had finally gone to bed at about 10:30 pm.

I have to admit, that I am pretty proud of Jada and I. Jada did an amazing job for her first time sewing, and I can not believe I even figured out how to put this whole thing together... :\. Put aside the stress from doing this project at the last minute, we had a great time! I am sure it will be a great memory for us both. Jada is such a cutie. I love spending one on one time with my kids. I love Jada so much!!

6 comments:

sinika said...

It turned out so cute Melissa! Good job Jada!

rachel said...

Can Jada make me a Quilt?! I love it, it is so cute! Good job.

The Kohler Family said...

Wow! That did turn out great! I'm with Rachel, can Jada just make me a quilt?? I have never used my sewing machine either!! and I've had it for 7 years!!!!!!!

Amy said...

What an amazing first project for Jada! She did a fabulous job! So what is the secret that Karen told you? I'm in the process of making a quilt so anything that can move the process along is good. :) (I love the colors and the fabric she used.)

Nielson said...

That turned out so cute! I love it--you guys did a great job!

Charlotte said...

What a darling quilt and I guess those school projects aren't so bad if it helps us to spend more one on one time with our kids!