Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Way To Go Jessica!!!

August 28, 2009

I am so proud of my niece Jessica. She is the oldest grandchild in my family, and was just recently awarded the XO Award. This is a humanitarian award presented by KSL. They hold this award ceremony every year. Jessica has been nominated for the past couple of years, but could not be selected as she has been out of the country each time. She was honored for all her humanitarian aid she has been providing over in India.

My family with Jessica

Here is
a description of the XO Award, and how they describe Jessica and her service in India. I pulled this off of the XO Awards website:

Kirton & McConkie XO Awards

Celebrating extraordinary acts of kindness

The XO Awards were created to recognize everyday people who touch us with their caring and kindness. We want to thank those people who often go unrecognized as they serve those around them. They go about their lives helping others just because that’s who they are. They enrich our lives and inspire us to go that extra mile as well.


Jessica, a college student, spent two years in India volunteering in leprosy colonies. She paid for the trips at her own expense by saving every penny to cover the costs. She has also volunteered at a local literacy center, battered women's shelter, served meals to the homeless, and participated in various charity fundraisers. In her many acts of service, she has come to believe that every single person has value.

All of us who were there to support Jessica

Jessica is such a selfless, giving person. She has done so much in India, and is always serving others. She is such a great example to my kids!! We were able to attend the awards ceremony with her at the Gallivan Center in Salt Lake. It was such a wonderful night. We had so much fun. First they had live music, and served lots of yummy food. They also had a clown who made things out of balloons, cotton candy, and popcorn for the kids. They were in heaven. Then they presented the awards. They gave away six awards, and it was amazing to hear all the different stories from each winner. It is amazing to me all the incredible acts of service that are always going on around us that we never know about. It makes me want to be a better person.

Here is a picture of the 6 award winners!
Truly amazing stories (check it out if you have time www.xoawards.com)
My niece Jessica is on the front right.

Future XO Award winner!!

Anyway, I just want Jessica to know how much I love her!! I am so grateful to be her Aunt, and I am very proud of her hard work. She was very deserving of this award. Good Job Jess!!

2 comments:

Jack said...

Seems like your pride in Jessica is well deserved, to say the least. I'm sure she's a remarkable person.

Here's something you (and she) might appreciate: a few great (brief) stories of people who, like Jessica, have made great efforts to help others — http://www.ahamoment.com/pg/voting?moment=gaavj — check them out, and click to vote for any or all of them, as the top vote-getters will wind up being used at aha moment TV commercials next year. A great way to spread the word about the value of doing good for others.

Thx,
jack@ahamoment.com

Jessica said...

Awe Missy Thanks!! You are way too kind, I am not as great as you made me sound ;) I hope you know that I couldn't do any of it with out my family! Thanks for coming it was so amazing to have you all there!! Love you tons