Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Dave's Big "40th" Surprise Party!

July 13 , 2009

So here is another very late post :(. I really need to get better at this. Well in July I blogged about Dave turning 40. I could not wait to throw him a big surprise party. I did not want to do it on his actual birthday, because I figured he would expect me to do it on that day. So on his actual birthday (July 9th), we made him a strawberry cream cheese pie, and gave him gifts. I am sure he thought that was the end of the celebration.... but on July 13th I threw him a surprise party. I had a barbecue with lots of friends and family. It was so much fun! I have never thrown a surprise party before. It was a lot of work. Especially because Dave almost ruined the surprise.

Jada eating the left over Black frosting!

I made cupcakes for the kids at the party. My sister Lizzy decorated them.
Notice the note hanging around the Gorillas neck...
It said "I'm Dave... I'm 40... Don't mess with me".

My little brother Lorrin asked Dave to go to the driving range after work, so that he would not come straight home from work. It would give me time to finish the party prep, and give people time to get home from work. Well that morning Dave said he could not go with Lorrin, because his foot hurt so bad. He was having an episode of Gout. Crap.... my surprise was ruined. I still made Dave take his golf clubs to work, in hopes that Lorrin could talk him into going. Well...it didn't work. So when I was suppose to be finishing up the party, Dave was on his way home. So thanks to my sister Lizzy, and some friends they finished things for me. I told Dave I had had the worst day, and that Lizzy said she would watch the kids while he and I went and got a movie and treats. I was freaking out, because right when he got home and I was rushing out so that he did not come in the house, his friend called me to ask for directions. I think at that point Dave was starting to wonder what was going on, because I was acting a bit crazy.

So Dave and I left and went and got a movie, then headed to Walmart for treats. I was really trying to kill time. Then when it was time to get him home, he decided he wanted Guacamole....:(. I was freaking out again. So we were late getting him to the party, thanks to searching for Guacamole. Then when we got home he drove up to the very top of the street to turn around instead of just pulling up in front of the house. So by doing that he saw my sister Beckys car. I said she must have found out we were having a barbecue and invited herself over. He bought that, but then coming back down the street you could see balloons in our back yard. So I was leaning forward trying to make it so Dave wouldn't see the balloons. Lets just say, that Dave makes it very hard to throw a surprise party for him. I just about lost my mind in this whole process :).

The end result was very well worth the struggle. His reaction when he walked out the back door and saw everyone was awesome. He really was very surprised!! It actually ended up working out :). Everyone had such a great time! It was our first real event using our new deck. It worked out that two of my sisters who live out of state, happened to be here for the party. I was so happy. They both helped me a lot. So my Mom, Becky, Corey, James, Julie, Lizzy, Lorrin, Tahnee, our friends the Landvatters, the Attwoods, the Woods, The Vegas, and the Fraziers all came to celebrate Dave reaching the top of the hill to begin his decent down. We had a yummy BBQ, and had cake, and visited. I hope Dave had a great birthday!! I luv him so much, and had a fun time surprising him.

Here is Dave when he first came out

He was asking me "what have you done?"

Dave and his good friend from work Chad Frazier

Let the party begin!!!

Dave with his littlest guy!

My sister Julie, brother Lorrin and his wife Tahnee

Our Neighbor Kim, my Mom, My sister Becky and Kim's baby Brittin

Our friends Jared & Carrie, Dave and friend Barbara

Our friends Chad & Amy and their kids Quinn & Weston

Front Row: My sister Lizzy and her daughter Brinley
Back row: My sister Julie and her daughter Sydeny, my brother Lorrin and his wife Tahnee

My sister Becky!

Our friends Barbara & Marcos

My sister Lizzy & brother Lorrin

My brother-in-law Corey

My mom & nephew James

We put sparklers on the cupcakes for the kids!
Dawson was very excited.

All the kids loved the sparklers!

We are so grateful for such good family & friends!

Yes I actually put 40 candles on the cake!

Dave blowing out his candles. He actually got them all out in one breath!!
Way to go old man!!

Daves way of showing me thanks... he stuck his tongue out when I kissed him. Ooh..

"Our Family"

Well it was a great party, and Dave was very surprised. It was very stressful, but definitely worth it. One more big HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my "old fart". I love ya tons!!!

6 comments:

sinika said...

Fun! I bet Dave felt so loved after all of your hard work. Your family is lucky to have you!

P.S. Fun that you got use your deck!

The Kohler Family said...

Melissa, You are such a great party planner! Unfortunately for me...Ryan could care less whether I threw him a party or not! I also love the saying on the cake!! Classic! ;)

scott, natalie and kids said...

what fun! your deck looks awesome!

bunker said...

Ummmm I didn't see the Lovelands there....harsh, no invite! :-)

bunker said...

btw thats messed up making an over the hill cake..., nice deck Dave!

Jessica said...

Hahah that pic of my mom is classic! Man I miss all the fun stuff :(