Wednesday, January 14, 2015

The Day That Seemed Like It Was Forever Away, Finally Came...

January 14, 2015
Well the day that felt like it was forever away, finally came.  This was definitely the hardest thing I as a mother have ever had to do.  It was very hard for Dax and all of us to say good bye for 2 years.  We are so very proud of Dax and his decision to serve the Lord and the people of Argentina.  They are so lucky to get him, and he will be so blessed for serving.  We can not wait to get his first letter, and hear how things are going.

It was hard to say goodbye to everyone, and everything...
I made him get one last picture with his guitar.  I am so glad I did, because I love this picture sooo much!  What a good lookin Elder :).

Ready or not, it was finally time to leave.

We made a quick stop in a parking lot for Dax to say bye to Aunt Becky and Uncle Corey. They had been out of town, and wanted to say bye.  It was another difficult moment for Dax.


Dax decided he did not want to go eat.  He was to nervous.  So we made a quick stop at the gas station for a drink and some jerky, just to tide him over till his first dinner in the MTC.  Even then he hardly touched this food.

We made a quick stop across the street from the MTC at the Provo Temple to say our goodbyes, since they make the drop off at the MTC so quick.  It is referred to as the stop, drop and roll :(.

Dave took this picture and then told us all to smile...

This is our attempt to smile :)...



Even though they fought a lot, they sure do love each other...









I knew this was going to be hard, but I never could have imagined just how hard!!  Poor Dax, I have been crying so much for the past few months just thinking about this moment.  The crying got worse the closer it got.  I am sure I made it so much harder on him with all my crying :(.  Lesson learned not to do that to my other kids.  Sorry it took me screwing you up Dax to learn this lesson for the others.  





This goodbye was SOOO HARD!!  I am glad Dave could find a smile, and got us all to try to smile.

Finally at the MTC...


This kind Elder came to help Dax with his luggage.  He politely informed us that we had three minutes to say our final goodbyes.  What...three minutes!!!  I knew it was stop, drop and roll, but only three minutes??? I have to admit at this point I was a little angry with the church.  I am sending my boy away for two years, and they can only give me three minutes!  Well I think this sweet Elder was inspired.  He didn't push us, or try to take Dax away.  He patiently waited.  So we ended up getting about six minutes.  I think Heavenly Father knew I would have definitely freaked out and lost it with only three minutes.  I may be a freak, but that extra three minutes made all the difference in my world!!!


Good ole Dave getting us all to smile!!!

The progression from trying to smile, to tears...

I love this picture!!!

I can hardly look at these pictures.  Dave finally could not smile any more.


Final hug from his little brother...


And he is off on his big adventure...

Goodbye Dax, I pray two years goes really fast...

A big piece of my heart just walked away for two years...
He would have walked away without turning and saying goodbye.  I had to yell out his name to get him to turn and wave.  Funny guy has already forgotten us.

After we left the MTC we rushed to the store to get some things to mail a package immediately.  We thought it would help comfort him if he had something from us the day he went in.  We got all of his favorite treats, ran to Grandma Hamilton's and wrote him some quick letters.  Then we rushed to the place that delivers the same day to the MTC.  We barely got there in time to get it delivered today.  

After we mailed the package we went to go eat at Culver's.  Dax and I ate there once a week together for the past year.  We had a weekly standing date at Culver's.  Those will always be some of my favorite memories.  I am glad I got that time with him!  Anyway, we went to eat, and two of our favorite employees that we have come to love so much were working.  They are a mother and daughter Heidi and Jordann.  Heidi also works at the MTC on Wednesdays to help with incoming missionaries.  I was hoping that she would get to see Dax.  I knew it would help him to see a familiar face.  Well, she did see him.  In fact, she told me that he was the last missionary to come through. They were wondering where he was, (we were only 5 minutes late to the MTC).  All the other ladies had left their stations and were going home, but Heidi waited.  Finally she saw Dax coming down the hall.  She said he was crying pretty hard.  She gave him a hug and she got to do everything for him. She got to get his welcome package for him.  She got to unpick his suit pockets.  She got to place his missionary tag on him :).  Normally she only gets to do one of those things.  She said that has never happened before.  She was so happy because she loves Dax, and he was having a hard time.  I know that this was a tender mercy from Heavenly Father that she was there for him.  That made my cry so hard when she told me all this.  I was sooo happy that Dax had a kind familiar face there to help him when he was going through such a hard moment in his life.  It was such a tender mercy that we met Heidi and Jordann.  

Unfortunately, Jordann had some bad news for us as well.  She told me to come talk to her when we got done eating.  When we finished, she informed me that the owner of Culver's had just passed away.  His name was Dave, and Dax and I had gotten to know him really well also.  I was in shock. He was only in his mid fifties.  It was awful to get this news on day that was already so hard and sad.  I am so very sad for Daves family, and I don't know how I am going to tell Dax. He will be sad too.  I think I will wait for a while to tell him.  

Anyway, next we went to Lorrin's work just to say.  Yes, I cried again when I saw Lorrin.  Tahnee and the kids are in California right now, so we invited Lorrin to come over and hang out.  He came and played Mario Cart with the kids for a while.  That helped them :).  Then we watched The Goldgergs with him, and that helped me :).  It was fun having Lorrin come over and distract us!  

Well, I can not believe he is gone.  Where has 18 years gone???  I can not believe I will not be with my boy for two years!  It is so hard.  I pray that Dax is doing okay tonight, and that he will adjust to mission life quickly.  I am so very proud of him for stepping up and being willing to serve The Lord.  He is a great example to all of us.  I love him with all my heart!!!  Thanks for being an amazing son Dax :).

No comments: